Family-friendly hotel chains Staying in a chain hotel: top tips
If you're taking your family on holiday to stay in a hotel, follow our top tips to have a hassle-free hotel break with your children.
- Don't just rely on the hotel website. Our research found that these aren't always the best at providing information for family guests. Call the hotel in advance if you have a specific request.
- Cots for babies are usually available free of charge at most hotels. It is advisable to book in advance and read the policy for the age of an infant allowed in a cot, as this may vary.
- Family room occupancy is often based on two adults and one or two children sharing. However, the addition of a free cot or a Z bed may be allowed – saving the cost of booking an extra room.
- Check room configurations if you have kids of different ages, as older ones may not want to share a room or a bed. Consider interconnecting hotel rooms instead and ask if the room can be offered at a reduced rate.
- Look for special offers from chain hotels close to family attractions. The attractions themselves, such as theme parks, may also provide links to suitable family-friendly hotels.
- Family rooms in hotel chains can be hard to find if you have three or more children. We found the Room for 5 website a helpful research tool for finding larger family rooms, mainly in independent hotels rather than chains.
For more practical travel advice, recommendations and inspirational holiday ideas, try Which? Travel.