What to pack for your baby's birth Home birth checklist
Home birth checklist
If you are planning on having a home birth you don't have to get a long list of things together. Your midwife will normally visit in the lead up to your birth and bring a birth kit with items she may want to use.
However, there are a few items which you can make sure you have ready in advance.
• Your birthplan / hospital notes
• The numbers of your midwifery team
• Some pieces of plastic or rubber sheeting to cover a floor area or the bed
• An old bedsheet to lay on top of any waterproof covers
• A tens machine (if you are planning to use one)
• A large towel to wrap the mother and baby in, plus lots more towels if you are having a water birth
• Refuse sacks
• Hot water bottle
• A birth ball (if you want to use one)
• Tea, coffee and biscuits or other snacks for yourself, partner and the midwives
• A camera / camcorder
• Maternity sanitary pads and old underwear
• Comfortable clothing to labour in
It's also sensible to pack an emergency hospital bag - see our hospital bag checklist - in case you do have to transfer to the hospital.
Our baby equipment you need guide lists essential items for the early weeks and months to stock up on.