Cookies at Which? We use cookies to help improve our sites. If you continue, we'll assume that you're happy to accept our cookies. Find out more about cookies

More from Which?

Other sources of information relating to this subject on the Which? website.
Bank accounts: Which? recommended providers
Savings and ISAs: comparison tables
Financial advice: how to find an adviser
Compare energy prices
Energy providers
Home phone deals
Broadband providers
Which? Wills
How to set up power of attorney
Power of attorney selector

Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB)

National network of free advice centres that can give advice on managing your relative’s affairs.
Telephone: 08454 04 05 06 (Consumer helpline)

The Court of Protection

If you need to make decisions for, or manage the affairs of, someone who lacks mental capacity and does not have a power of attorney in place.
Telephone: 0300 456 4600 (Monday–Friday, 9am–5pm)
Telephone: 020 7947 6000 (emergency applications – out of hours)

Office of Care and Protection – Northern Ireland

Telephone: 028 9072 4733

Office of the Public Guardian – England and Wales

Apply for a POA, register a POA.
Telephone: 0300 456 0300

Office of the Public Guardian – Scotland

Telephone: 01324 678 300

Society of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)

Find an expert financial adviser in your area that specialises in issues affecting older people, including power of attorney.
Telephone: 0845 303 2909

Page last reviewed: January 2015
Next review due: November 2017