Which? Elderly Care is working in collaboration with Carers UK to promote Carers Week in 2017. Read on to find out more about Carers Week, how we’re getting involved and how you can take part.
Share your story with us
As a part of our support for Carers UK we are gathering case studies that will sit on the Carers Week website and/or be submitted to the media to raise awareness of everything that carers do for their loved ones.
If you’re interested in being a part of this activity and willing to be involved with press and other media opportunities, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a short paragraph describing your role as a carer and contact details so that we can get in touch with you to discuss this further.
On this page you will find information on:
1. What is Carers Week?
2. Share your story with us
3. Who is supporting Carers Week?
4. Carers Week on social media
5. More information for carers
What is Carers Week?
Carers Week is a yearly campaign focused on caring in the community, aiming to:
- recognise the fantastic work done all year round by carers across the UK
- increase awareness and understanding of caring roles
- highlight the issues and challenges carers deal with on a day-to-day basis
- emphasise the importance of the role of carers and encourage improved support nationwide.
The Carers Week 2017 campaign runs from Monday 12 June to Sunday 18 June and the main focus of this year’s campaign is ‘Building Carer Friendly Communities’.
Who is supporting Carers Week?
One of the other great things about Carers Week is how it brings together organisations to amplify the important messages about carers needs.
These charitable organisations are working together with Carers UK to support Carers Week in 2017:
- Age UK
- Carers Trust
- Independent Age
- Macmillan Cancer Support
- MS Society
- Motor Neurone Disease Association
- Which? Elderly Care
Carers UK are the organisers of Carers Week and the driving force behind this fantastic annual campaign. They are the only national membership charity for carers in the UK and are committed to making life better for carers through advice, information, support and campaigning.
How are we getting involved?
Which? Elderly Care is a free information resource that provides a wide range of advice about caring for older people. Our website is for relatives of people who need care, people who need care themselves and professionals who are looking for a comprehensive, independent online resource they can share.
This is our first year as an official supporter of Carers Week and we will be getting involved in the coming months, in the run up to June. Make sure to bookmark this page and check back regularly to find out how we’ve been taking part.
Carers Week on social media
It’s a well-known phrase: sharing is caring! Spreading the word about carers and the great work they do on social media is a crucial aspect of Carers Week. Every like, comment and share helps magnify this important message.
More information for carers
- Advice for carers: Sometimes as a carer, you might need a little support and advice to help you through an emotionally draining time. Check out our comprehensive section, with guides covering a wide range of issues.
- Carer’s assessment: The carer's assessment gives unpaid carers the opportunity to receive support either as part of the needs assessment of your relative or according to your own needs. Discover whether you might be eligible, how to get a carer’s assessment and more.
- Your relative’s needs: We explain how to deal with common concerns and worries that you may have, with advice on providing physical, emotional and psychological support for your relative.
Page first published: February 2017
Next review due: May 2017