Cookies at Which? We use cookies to help improve our sites. If you continue, we'll assume that you're happy to accept our cookies. Find out more about cookies

Help us improve care

Have you had experience of a care home behaving in an unfair, unclear or misleading way? Have you had reason to complain about a care home and been discouraged, unable to complain or experienced problems as a result of complaining? Which? wants to hear about it.

We are helping the Competition and Markets Authority with its investigation into adult residential care to uncover any underlying consumer problems with the care home market. If you want to help, visit our campaign page.

Association of Independent Healthcare Organisations

For complaints about independent care providers, who are members of the AIHO.

Care regulators

For information about minimum standards and how to report concerns.
Care Quality Commission (CQC) – England
Telephone: 030 00 616161 (national customer service centre)
Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) – Wales
Telephone: 0300 062 5609 (North Wales)
Telephone: 01267 245160 (South West Wales)
Telephone: 0300 062 8888 (South East Wales)
Care Inspectorate - Scotland
Telephone: 0845 600 9527
Regulation and Quality Improvement Authority (RQIA) - Northern Ireland
Telephone: 028 9051 7500

Carers UK

A national membership charity that champions carers’ rights, connecting and supporting carers online and in local communities.
Adviceline: 0808 808 7777

Care Information Scotland

A telephone and website service providing information about care services for older people living in Scotland.
Helpline: 08456 001 001


To get details of government policy throughout the UK, including making complaints about local authority funded care.
Website (UK):
Website (Northern Ireland):
Website (Scotland):
Website (Wales):


The national consumer champion in England for health and care.
Telephone: 03000 68 3000

Relatives and Residents Association

Charitable organisation providing help and advice to older people in care and their families.
Telephone: 020 7359 8136 (helpline)


For complaints about care providers, which you have been unable to resolve with your service provider directly.
Local Government Ombudsman – England
Telephone: 0300 061 0614
Northern Ireland Ombudsman
Telephone: 02890 233821/0800 34 34 24
Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
Telephone: 0300 790 0203
Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO)
Telephone: 0800 377 7330

Page last reviewed: February 2016
Next review due: April 2018