Energy-saving appliances: Energy costs calculators
Have you ever thought about how much your fridge or TV is costing you to run over a year? The answer is probably more than you think - especially if the appliances you own are old or not very energy efficient.
If you’re planning on buying a new appliance, it’s not just the upfront price you should consider but the cost of running it. too. That's why we've created tools that reveal the electricity costs of all the TVs, fridges, freezers, washer-dryers, washing machines, tumble dryers and dishwashers that Which? has tested. By choosing a machine that's a thrifty energy user, your electricity bills will be lower.
Just click one of the links in the annual energy cost calculators section below to get started.
Annual energy cost calculators
To make it easy for you to work out whether that cheap appliance you’ve got your eye on really is a good deal, we’ve created easy-to-use energy running costs calculators to help you work out how much it will cost to own over its lifetime.
- Dishwasher energy cost calculator compares the lifetime cost of the dishwashers Which? has tested.
- Freezer energy cost calculator will give you the info you need to choose a freezer to suit your budget.
- Fridge energy cost calculator helps you find out how much different models cost over their lifetime.
- Fridge freezer energy cost calculator compares the lifetime cost of fridge freezers from top brands.
- Tumble dryer energy cost calculator helps you avoid buying an energy guzzler.
- TV running costs calculator ensures you pick the best cheapest-to-run LED, plasma or LCD TV for you.
- Washer-dryer energy costs calculator reveals the annual energy costs of all the washer-dryers Which? has tested.
- Washing machine energy costs guides you to the cheapest to run washing machines.
These calculators show you at a glance how much different models cost to run over a year and over their lifetime, based on current energy costs.
Once you've identified a cheap-to-run appliance or TV, Which? members can log in to see how it was rated by Which? experts in our independent tests. If you're not already a Which? member, sign up to get instant access to all our reviews and advice for just £1.
Save energy, save money
Did you know?
- Annual fridge freezer running costs can vary by a massive £88 a year, depending on the model you buy.
- You could be £50 a year better off if you choose the most energy-efficient dishwasher over the least efficient.
- Our tests reveal that the running costs of a 32-inch TV can vary between £4 and £89 a year.
Differences in energy running costs can be so great that, in some cases, a more expensive model that's more energy efficient works out cheaper to own in the long run than a cheaper energy guzzler.
- The Indesit BAN12NF fridge freezer costs £250 to buy and £53 a year to run. Over a lifetime (seven years) it costs £621 to own.
- The Hotpoint RF175M fridge freezer costs £300 to buy and £18 a year to run. Over a lifetime it costs £426 to own - £195 less the Indesit.
How to use the running cost calculator
We’ve put the best cheap-to-run appliances together in one place so they’re easy to compare. You can also use the tool to search by brand, model number or type (eg freestanding, built-in or side by side for fridge freezers).
The tool shows you the current cost of the appliance and the annual electricity costs, and then lets you see the how much the appliance costs to own over its lifetime (up to 12 years for some types of appliance).
Click on models you’re interested in to compare them side by side, and read the full Which? review to see whether our experts recommend it.
Look for the Energy Saver logo
The good news is you don’t always have to pay more for a more efficient appliance.
Several of our cheapest Best Buy fridge freezers have earned the Which? Energy Saver logo for their low running costs.
We have top tips on how to buy the best appliances, how to use them efficiently and how making the right choices can save you lots of money in the long run.