Boilers: Boiler maintenance tips Maintaining your boiler
Finding a boiler engineer
If you’re looking for a competent engineer to repair or service your boiler, check the recommendations on Which? Local to find someone in your area.
Which? Local is a free service for all Which? members. It shows service providers in your local area that have been recommended by other members. You’ll need your Which? membership number to hand to register for Which? Local.
Our video guide to getting a good boiler service should give you an idea what to expect when you book a service.
In an emergency, you may need to find your manual in a hurry. If you’ve lost it, you can contact the manufacturer. Check the model number on your boiler first to ensure you get the right instructions. Most manufacturers allow you to download manuals directly from their websites.
Boilers’ automatic pump anti-seize function
Most modern gas boilers should have this. The automatic pump anti-seize function automatically spins the pump for a few minutes when the boiler has not been in use for a long time. This helps prevent problems when starting the boiler up at the beginning of winter.
Boiler equipment costs
My boiler's condensate pipe has frozen. What can I do?
Boilers retain condensate water and then let it out in a gush in an attempt to prevent freezing, but the condensate pipe can still freeze in particularly cold weather. This is especially true if the condensate pipe is external.
If your condensate pipe is frozen up, your boiler will probably switch itself off - exactly the opposite of what you need in such weather. Follow these steps to get your boiler going again.
- Use warm, but not boiling, water to unfreeze the pipe's contents. This will only be a temporary fix.
- Lag the pipe with insulating material.
- If the pipe is at a shallow angle or very narrow, it may need to be re-installed. The larger and more vertical the pipe is, the better.
More on boilers and home maintenance...
- How to maintain your home heating and plumbing
- Get more boiler advice in our boiler Q&As
- Read about our undercover boiler service investigation