Steamers: Best Buys
Steamers are a convenient way to keep more vitamins and nutrients in your food - but not all models that we tested cook food quickly and properly. By picking a Best Buy, you can be confident that you'll have a steamer that gives you tasty, healthy food without taking ages to cook.
Looking to eat more healthily with a steamer?
We test every steamer on carrots, broccoli, potatoes, salmon, chicken and rice, to see how quickly they can cook different types of food. In our latest round of testing we used 20kg of carrots, 12kg of broccoli and 14.4kg of new potatoes, along with 60 salmon fillets and 48 chicken breasts.
- We carefully examine the food we cook to steer you away from steamers that will leave you with mushy vegetables and dry, overcooked meat.
- Our experts cook a variety of food - from chicken and fish, to potatoes, broccoli, carrots and rice - to see which are the steamers that can handle every diet.
- By preparing foodstuffs together, we can see if the flavours have mixed together - so you can avoid steamers that make your veg taste fishy.
You don't have to break the bank for a great steamer - we have Best Buys for under £25. Find out which models we recommend with a £1 trial to Which?.
What makes a Which? Best Buy?
- Reviews of 10 steamers.
- 4 Best Buy steamers to lock in nutrients and cook food quickly.
- Reviews of steamers from 7 companies.
Steamer reviews you can trust
We pit steamers from the big names in kitchen appliances, such as Tefal, Russell Hobbs and Morphy Richards, against cheaper own-brand models from Argos and Lakeland, so our reviews can tell you whether you really do get more for your money.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to laptops, cars and coffee machines, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.