Fridge freezers: How to buy the best fridge freezer Integrated fridge freezers
Built-in or integrated fridge freezers help you create a tidy, seamless look in your kitchen. We take a look at this type of fridge freezer in more detail to outline the key integrated fridge freezer features you should look out for.
Integrated fridge freezers
- Hidden behind a door so will blend in with your fitted kitchen.
- Can be slimmer and more compact than other fridge freezer models.
- Generally fewer models to choose from.
- More expensive than equivalent freestanding model.
Inside an integrated fridge freezer
1. Digital display and temperature settings can help you keep your fridge freezer at the correct temperature.
2. Adjustable shelves can make your fridge space more flexible.
3. Handy door units can be used to store delicate items like eggs.
4. Door shelves should be able to house larger-sized bottles and items too tall to stand up in the main fridge section..
5. Salad crisper compartments will keep fruit and veg fresher for longer - but can take up a lot of fridge space.
6. Most freezers will usually have between three and five compartments - larger bottom drawers can be used to store big items such as frozen turkeys.
7. Ice tray freezer compartments can be a useful feature.
Built-in fridge freezer price and running costs
Built-in fridge freezers tend to be more expensive than freestanding ones, because they have to work in smaller confined spaces with less airflow. Typical prices of the ones we tested ranged between £280 and £947. But because your fridge freezer is running 24 hours a day, the day-to-day running costs and reliability of the model you buy are also important.
Fridge freezer running costs can be as little as £18 per year, but can stretch up to £100 depending on the model. We've calculated an annual average running cost for each one of the 125 fridge freezer models we test to help you find an efficient appliance. You can see running costs for each model in its 'Specification' tab. And our fridge freezer reliability survey asks Which? members how they rate brands like Beko, Bosch, LG, Neff, Hotpoint and Whirlpool for reliability and aftercare.