Freezers: Best Buys
Time to replace your old freezer?
If you need to upgrade your freezer, how do you know which model to choose at the electrical shop? You can’t tell whether it will keep your food frozen just by looking at it, and the energy label won’t tell you whether it will cost you the earth to power it.
Which? invests around £25,000 every year testing freezers to help you choose an appliance that will extend the life of your groceries. We test freezers in a temperature-controlled lab chamber to see whether your food will stay safely frozen if your kitchen heats up while you’re cooking or cools down overnight.
We don’t rely on the manufacturer’s claimed capacity; our expert testers measure every inch of usable space across all of the drawers, compartments and door racks to uncover just how much storage space it really offers.
- Every year, our expert testers freeze the equivalent of around 6,072 tomatoes, 506 large chickens and 2,024 pints of milk. So if you like to bulk-buy and freeze fresh produce or freeze large batches of homemade meals, you can be sure your Best Buy freezer is powerful enough to handle a large load of fresh food.
- We reveal true running costs, so you’ll know exactly how much each freezer will add to your energy bill. We’ll also tell you whether it’s costly to power for the amount of usable storage space you get.
- Avoid buying a freezer that won’t keep your food safely preserved - we expose the poor-performing models which don’t freeze to -18°C or lower on the manufacturer’s recommended setting.
Find our Best Buy freezer reviews and the best online prices, by taking out a £1 trial to Which?
What makes a Which? Best Buy?
We test thousands of products each year at Which? in a controlled environment that enables us to accurately repeat each test on each product - meaning our reviews are directly comparable. We buy the products we test ourselves, and go through great lengths to shape our test programmes to match the way you use the products.
Find out more about how we test products and how we find the models that deserve to be Best Buys in the video below.
Freezer reviews you can trust
Which? tests the latest tall and under counter, freestanding and built-in freezers from all of the big appliance names, such as AEG, Beko, Bosch, Hotpoint, Indesit, John Lewis, Lec, Miele, Neff, Samsung, Smeg, Whirlpool and Zanussi. We’ve come across good and bad freezers from the same maker, and found you can’t always rely on the brand to guarantee a top-notch model.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding the light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership, and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 47 freezers: built-in, chest, tall and worktop height.
- 22 Best Buy freezers for your groceries.
- Reviews of freezers from 17 companies.