Washer-dryers: Best Buys
Take our shortcut to the top washer-dryers on the market. Our experts have weighed up all their pros and cons to help you avoid heavy compromises with these dual-function machines.
Looking for a space saving washer-dryer you can rely on?
Washer-dryers have a bad reputation for reliability. So to help you avoid a costly mistake, we make sure our recommended Best Buy washer-dryers are built to last.
Washer-dryers can be far from efficient to run, and annual running costs vary wildly from £53 to £117. So you can make an informed decision, we calculate and present annual costs for both the washing and drying cycles for every model we test.
- Our research shows that most people in the UK wash at 40 degrees. So to more accurately reflect the washing that you do in your home, we now test all our washer-dryers on their 40-degree wash programs.
- We wash and dry more than a metric tonne of cottons and synthetics every year – that’s about the same as a Volkswagen Golf.
- A brilliant washer-dryer offers the best combination of washing power, effective spinning, quick and even drying ability, lower running costs and importantly – it lasts. To get a great machine and minimise the risk of an early breakdown, look for our Best Buys.
To find out which washer-dryers are best at cleaning and drying your clothes, take up a £1 trial to Which?
What makes a Which? Best Buy
We test thousands of products each year at Which? in a controlled environment that enables us to accurately repeat each test on each product - meaning our reviews are directly comparable. We buy the products we test ourselves, and go through great lengths to shape our test programmes to match the way you use the products.
Find out more about how we test products and find those that deserve to be Best Buys in the video below.
Reviews you can trust
Washer-dryers are made by the big names in laundry appliances, including Miele, Zanussi, AEG, Hotpoint and Siemens. We’ve discovered that a big name does not automatically mean a good product.
Which? is independent - we work for you, the consumer, so you can be sure that our product recommendations are influenced only by our test results. We don't take advertising and we buy all the products that we test ourselves, so our advice helps you to make the right choice first time and avoid costly mistakes.
More ways to save money
Which? reviews thousands of products and services each year, shedding light on the best and worst and helping you with your everyday decisions. With advice and reviews on everything from energy suppliers and high street shops to ebook readers, cars and mobile phones, Which? can help you save money.
Try a £1 trial membership and you'll receive access to all our online content and get Which? magazine delivered monthly to your door. You can also phone our Which? Legal Service and personal finance experts for one-to-one help, plus you'll get access to Which? Local, where members share recommendations for the best services in your area.
- Reviews of 61 washer-dryers: built-in and freestanding.
- 5 Best Buy washer-dryers for top results.
- Reviews of washer-dryers from 17 companies.