Best department stores May 2013
Department stores rated
- The UK's biggest shop survey reveals the best and worst department stores
- Department stores rated on factors such as product range, price, service and quality
- Discover the best department stores out of brands including John Lewis and Selfridges
Our table below reveals the best and worst department stores, as voted for by you in the UK's biggest survey of shops.
We surveyed thousands of you about the department stores you love and the ones you avoid, and reveal the results in the table below - so you can see how John Lewis has fared against rivals Debenhams and House of Fraser, and against other department stores such as Selfridges and Harvey Nichols. Independent department stores are also included.
|Department stores reviewed|
|Shop||Product range||Product quality||Service||Store environment||Pricing||After-sales and returns||Customer Score|
|House of Fraser|
|Marks and Spencer|
Using the table
Sample sizes: BHS 105, Debenhams 106, Fenwick 105, Harvey Nichols 112, House of Fraser 103, Independent department stores 106, John Lewis 107, Marks and Spencer 111, Selfridges 102
Customer score: This is based on a combination of overall satisfaction and how likely people are to recommend the store to a friend.
How Which? rates department stores
The department store category is part of the annual Which? shops survey, the biggest one of its kind in the UK.
For the survey, Which? surveyed 11,784 members of the general public online between February and March 2013 about the shops they had visited in the past six months. Shoppers were asked how satisfied they were and how likely they were to recommend the department stores they rated. These factors make up the Which? customer score.
Our survey respondents also rated 13 factors covering price, service, store environment, product quality, product range and after sales. These are shown as star ratings in our table of department stores and are made up of the factors below:
- Service – staff knowledge about products, staff helpfulness and staff availability
- Store environment – ease of finding products, tidiness of store, store environment and queuing time
- Price – price, sales and special offers
- Product quality
- Product range – range of products and products being in stock
- After sales and returns