How to get discounts on products Best time to get a bargain
You'll find cheaper deals on washing machines and other appliances from January to March
January - March
- Head to the January sales for hot deals on new TVs, DVD players or a sat nav system. You'll find some of the best bargains of the year on all kinds of consumer technology products in January.
- Argos releases its new catalogue in January, so you'll find plenty of end catalogue and clearance bargains across its product range this month.
- If you're looking for a large domestic appliance, such as a washing machine, fridge freezers or dishwasher, hit the shops between January to March to snap up cheap end of line products. Ensure you bag the best bargains by asking sales staff about show models they may be willing to sell off more cheaply.
- For small kitchen appliances, such as kettles and toasters, January is a good time to look as many retailers launch new colours each year, and sell off the old styles at cheaper prices.
- Those must-have toys, videogames and games consoles are back in stock after the Christmas rush - and prices drop off now festive demand has petered out.
- The extended Easter bank holiday weekend is traditionally the time we turn our attention to DIY jobs around the home. DIY stores such as B&Q, Homebase and Screwfix often discount DIY products around this time to attract keen shoppers. Check out the results of our annual high street shops and surveys to discover which DIY outlets have been voted top of the shops.
- If you want to buy a new car, head to showrooms at the end of each quarter (March is the end of the first quarter) when salespeople are most up against meeting their targets. If salespeople are behind reaching their targets, you may be able to get a better deal. Our online guide to buying a car has all the advice you need to get the best deal on a new car.
- Used car availability also tends to go up in March as people trade in their old cars as new registration plates are issued. Used car buyers have more cars to choose from and can haggle harder. Our guide to buying a used car has top tips on choosing and buying used cars.
April - June
- It's a great time to pick up a cheap digital camera as manufacturers refresh their line ups at the end of spring. Keep an eye out for digital camera bargains as retailers sell off end of line cameras to make way for new models arriving soon. Our digital camera reviews include all the latest models including 42 Which? Best Buys.
- Now is a great time to buy an SUV. Demand for four-wheel-drive vehicles usually peaks during the autumn and winter when the weather is at its worst, so buy now and you should get a bigger discount. Our online guide to buying a car has all the advice you need to get the best deal on a new car.
- Bank holiday weekends are a good time to buy compost as retailers sell off last year’s stock before putting the new stuff out.
July - September
- You are likely to find good promotions and discounts on stationery, printers, and ink in July and August as children and students prepare for the new academic year and shops compete for their business.
- The new academic year sees retailers offering cut price deals on laptops, mobile phones and computer software in September. Check out our comprehensive Which? reviews of mobile phones, desktop computer brands and reliable broadband providers to discover which have been awarded Which? Best Buy status.
- Used car availability tends to go up in September as people trade in their cars as new registration plates are issued. Used car buyers have more cars to choose from and can haggle harder. Our guide to buying a used car has top tips on choosing and buying used cars.
- You'll get good deals on budget home appliances and kitchenware in September as retailers seek to tempt students returning to university. See our Kitchen appliances section for latest reviews of microwaves, kettles, health grills and hand blenders.
Digital camera manufacturers refresh their line ups twice a year
October - December
- Digital camera manufacturers typically refresh their line ups twice a year. Keep an eye out for digital camera bargains in autumn as retailers sell off end of line cameras to make way for new Christmas models arriving soon. Our digital camera reviews include all the latest models including 42 Which? Best Buys.
- Many new models of tumble dryers arrive in stores around this time so older models start to be discounted around October.
- There's still time to grab some great bargains on end of season garden furniture. Retailers are usually keen to free up their warehouses of bulky garden items before winter so head to the high street for a good deal.
- The winter months are the best time to buy sports cars and convertibles for a number of reasons. Firstly, car sales generally dip in December as most people are concentrating on Christmas. Secondly, sports and convertibles are least in demand as many people will be buying them as a fun, second car. Thirdly, dealers can be keen to offlload that year's models to make room for revised versions that may be arriving early in the New Year. Read our top 10 tips to buying a sports car to make sure you get the best deal.
- If you want to buy a new car, head to showrooms at the end of each quarter when salespeople are most up against meeting targets. If salespeople are behind reaching their targets, you may be able to get a better deal. Our online guide to buying a car has all the advice you need to get the best deal on a new car. Also see our Cars section for first drives of the latest cars.
- If you're looking for kitchen gadgets, such as coffee machines and food processors, there are often great deals on these items around Christmas as retailers hope to catch the Christmas gift buyers.
More on this...
- Visit our Home section for reviews of all the latest products for your house
- Time for a new car? Visit our Cars section first to make sure you are getting the best
- After a new tech purchase? Check our reviews in the Technology section