Contents insurance explained Switching your insurance
Save money on your contents insurance with our expert tips.
Increasing your excess will often reduce your premium
- Get quotes from a selection of Which? recommended Providers - see our .
- Use price comparison websites to compare deals. Make sure you're getting enough cover for your needs though - How contents insurance works has advice on calculating cover.
- Don't be scared to haggle. Home insurance is a competitive market so insurance companies will work hard to win your custom. Once you've found the best quote, ask your current insurer if they'll beat it. If they won't, switch.
Cut your premium
- Increasing your excess (the first part of every claim that you must pay yourself) will often reduce your premium. Make sure you can afford the extra if you do need to claim.
- Buying buildings and contents insurance from the same provider could earn you a discount.
- Try to pay your annual premium all at once. You could be charged extra for monthly payments.
- If you currently buy your home insurance from your mortgage provider, they may charge you an administration fee to switch to another company. Ask your new insurer if they'll pay the fee for you.
- Buying online could save you around 15%. It's worth getting quotes by phone too to make sure you're getting the best deal.
- Make sure your home is secure. Fitting five-lever mortise locks on doors, locks on windows, smoke detectors and a burglar alarm can help reduce your premium.
More on this...