Gap insurance How do I claim on my Gap insurance?

Gap claims

Your car must be a write-off to claim on your Gap insurance 

Making a claim of your Gap insurance policy needn’t been daunting. Follow our step-by-step to make the process as simple as possible.

1. Collect all the info you need and call your car insurer

Before you make a claim on your Gap insurance you’ll need to contact your car insurer. Remember, you only need to make a Gap claim if your vehicle has been declared a write-off.

If your car is damaged in a road accident make sure you get the following from the other driver:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Vehicle registration
  • Telephone number
  • Insurance details

Once you have the details you need, notify your car insurer about your claim as soon as possible.

Find out more: How do I claim on my car insurance?

2. Check your Gap insurance documents

Make sure you look carefully at the terms of your Gap insurance documents, even before you have had a response from your car insurer about your claim.

Check whether there are any time limits for submitting a claim, check your excess and make sure you are clear on exactly what information you need to provide to claim successfully.

3. Call your Gap provider

Once you have checked your documents, and you are sure you want to go ahead with your claim, drop your Gap insurer a line.

It is best to speak to your provider before you accept any settlement from your car insurance provider. Many Gap providers insist you speak to them before agreeing a claim.

If you have finance as part of your Gap insurance policy, it's worth discussing how any outstanding loans are settled, and if this will be automatically paid on your behalf.

4. Unsatisfied with the response? Complain

You might expect your provider to handle your claim quickly and sensitively. However, this isn’t always the case. If you feel that your claim hasn’t been handled fairly, complain to your insurer. Details on how to do this should be listed on your policy document

5. Speak to the Ombudsman

If you have exhausted the insurance company's complaints procedure and your claim has not been settled, contact the Financial Ombudsman Service.

You usually have six months from the time you reach deadlock with the insurer in which to make a complaint. The decision of the FOS is binding on companies but not on the consumer, so you could, if you want to, refer the matter to court.

More on this…

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.