Mortgages reviewed: First Direct mortgage review
5th out of 25 mortgage lenders
First Direct mortgage review
First Direct - part of HSBC Bank plc - is available exclusively online and by phone. In order to be eligible for its mortgages, you will need to have a 1st Account.
First Direct mortgages consistently score highly in our customer satisfaction tables. This, combined with the fact that it offers some of the most competitive deals on the market, makes it a Which? Recommended Provider: we think it's one of the best mortgage lenders out there.
First Direct mortgage highlights
- Good for fixed and discount deals
- Customers rate its transparency and flexibility
- Great value for money
For impartial, personal advice on the best mortgage for you, call Which? Mortgage Advisers on 0808 252 7987.
|First Direct mortgage satisfaction scorecard|
|Value for money|
|Keeping you well informed|
|Clarity of statements|
|Transparency of charges|
|Query and complaint handling|
|Ability to over and underpay mortgage|
- Star ratings out of five show levels of satisfaction for each category. Where no stars are showing, it means we could not get a large enough sample size to rate this aspect of the service.
What First Direct's mortgage customers say about it
'Excellent customer service.'
'Great rates, but the process was awful and stressful.'
'Great customer service - they treat you like a real person'
'I'd be completely satisfied if they offered payment holidays and buy-to-let mortgages.'
'Happy with the product and ease of doing business with them.'
'It has been a good mortgage, but they have changed the terms of the mortgage and I am unable to stay with them when I move house.'
'Always excellent customer service - I feel valued.'
'The interest rate is too high.'
'Does what it promises.'
- Which? Money Compare mortgage comparison tables - compare First Direct's deals with hundreds of others
- Buying a house - explore our home-buying hub for advice on everything from making an offer to moving in
- Mortgages for the self-employed - how working for yourself can affect your mortgage application
Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.