- Which? helps you understand how council tax works
- Check how much council tax you should have to pay
- Learn about council tax bands
- Find out who is exempt from paying council tax
- What to do if you disagree with your council tax bill
What's in this guide
Which? explains how council tax works, why you pay it and which groups of people and properties are exempt from paying council tax.
Understand what different council tax bands mean for your council tax bill, and how council tax is calculated in different countries in the UK.
Which? explains how and when council tax is paid, what to do if you move to a new home and what happens if you miss a council tax payment.
Find out how you can get your council tax bill reduced if you living alone, and which other people may qualify for a lower council tax rate.
Find out what to do if you disagree with your council tax bill, including how to appeal your council tax bill and get your council tax band lowered.