Working for an employer

Income tax for employees

  • Use our mock-up payslip to figure out what has been deducted from your salary
  • How to claim tax-deductible expenses and reduce your tax bill
  • What happens to your UK tax bill when you work abroad
  • What to do when you tax circumstances change

What's in this guide

Changes in your tax situation

Situations where you need to be especially alert to the possibility of a wrong tax bill

Tax forms

Which? explains what tax forms you 're most likely to come across when you're employed.

Tax-deductible expenses

Reduce your tax bill by claiming relief for expenses you incur as a result of doing your job

Salary sacrifice

How salary sacrifice could get you more for your money

What pay is taxable?

Find out how your take-home pay is calculated, what you can earn tax free, and where the taxman takes a bite of your income.

Working abroad and tax

How to make sure you don't pay UK tax on your earnings

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.