On the phone

Tax appeals, disputes and complaints

  • Your rights over disputes about tax, tax credits and even student loan repayments
  • How to appeal if you think you’re being asked to pay too much tax
  • What to do if you’re paying too much or too little tax

What's in this guide

Paying too much tax

What to do if you’ve made a mistake with your taxes – or HMRC has

When you’ve paid too little tax

What to do if you haven't paid enough tax, and when unpaid tax may be written off

Appealing against tax enquiries

How to appeal to HMRC, and what to do if you can't resolve your dispute

Tax: your duties

Your responsibilities when it comes to record keeping and completing your tax return

Complaining about poor service

A step by step guide to what to do

Tax: further help

Useful addresses, phone numbers and websites

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.