Tax appeals, disputes and complaints Paying too much tax

Filling form

You can generally claim a full rebate for money you've lost

HMRC mistakes

If you are the victim of an HMRC error, generally you can claim a full rebate for the money you have lost. 

This might depend on whether the money lost is something like out-of-pocket expenses which are easily identified and reimbursed, or something more nebulous like loss of earnings or loss of business.

In addition, HMRC will offer a small consolatory payment where you have experienced particular distress because of HMRC’s action or inaction.

Your mistakes

If you have paid too much tax because of a mistake on your tax return – for example by not claiming an allowance you were entitled to or making an error on your tax return – you can correct your tax return within the first year of filing it. 

After that you can still claim back tax within four years of the end of the tax year you’re claiming for. 

More on this...

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.