Child tax credits

Tax credits

  • Many families qualify for tax credits – is yours one of them?
  • Even if you don't have children you may qualify for working tax credit
  • How tax credits are worked out
  • How to claim tax credits and what are the downfalls

What's in this guide

What are tax credits?

Which? explains the basics of tax credits, who receives tax credits and how tax credits can apply to you.

Tax credits income

Find out what qualifies as income for tax credit purposes, and what you must declare as income for tax credits.

Tax credits: do you qualify?

Find out if you qualify for tax credits, and how tax credits apply to couples, child tax credits and more about working tax credits.

How to calculate tax credits

Which? explains how your tax credits award is calculated, and which types of tax credits you are eligible for, depends on your income.

Child tax credits

We explain how child tax credits work, how to claim child tax credits and child tax credits you're entitled to.

Renew your tax credits

How to renew your tax credits, when to complete your tax credit renewal pack and what do to if you miss your renewal deadline.

Tax credits and change in circumstances

How tax credits are affected by change in circumstances and what you need to tell HMRC to carry on receiving tax credits.

Working tax credits: the basics

Working tax credits explained in a language you can understand, including the different elements of working tax credits.

Working tax credits: how much you get

Find out how much in working tax credit you're entitled to if you have children and working tax credits for those without children.

Tax credit overpayments

What to do if you're overpaid tax credits, why you might receive an overpayment and how to challenge a tax credit overpayment.

Which? Limited (registered in England and Wales number 00677665) is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Limited (registered in England and Wales number 07239342). Which? Financial Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN 527029). Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Registered office: 2 Marylebone Road, London NW1 4DF.