Working for an employer

Working for an employer

  • Use the Which? interactive payslip to figure out what has been deducted from your salary
  • How to claiming tax-deductible expenses and reduce your tax bill
  • What happens to your UK tax bill when you work abroad
  • What to do when you tax circumstances change

What's in this guide

Pay and deductions

Find out how your take-home pay is worked out With our interactive payslip

Tax-free pay

You don't have to pay tax on some types of regular payments from your employer

Tax-free lump sums

In some circumstances a lump sum from your employer could be tax-free

Tax-deductible expenses

Reduce your tax bill by claiming relief for expenses you incur as a result of doing your job

Working abroad and tax

How to make sure you don't pay UK tax on your earnings

Tax forms

Jobs create paperwork. The forms you'll get and how to use them

Changes in your tax situation

Situations where you need to be especially alert to the possibility of a wrong tax bill

Which Ltd is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Which? Financial Services Ltd, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Which? Mortgage Advisers and Which? Money Compare are trading names of Which? Financial Services Limited. Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.