Top marks for the Porsche BoxsterIt's the UK's best-loved car
01 September 2006
Open top sports car the Porsche Boxster is the UK's most loved car according to a new survey from Which? Car.
A phenomenal 98 per cent of owners say they would definitely recommend it to a friend and motorists praised every aspect of its driving performance.
At the other end of the spectrum the Rover 25 (1999 – 05) is the country's least favourite car. A mere 27 per cent of owners would recommend it and only its very good boot space was rated as a plus point.
Other highly rated cars in the Which? Car survey are:
- Mazda MX-5 (1998-05) - a Porsche Boxster on a shoestring
- Land Rover Discovery - good to drive, practical and well designed
- Toyota Yaris Verso (2002-05) – a great car but its distinctive looks mean it's no oil painting
All of the above cars scored more than 90 per cent when it came to owner recommendation.
Among the least recommended cars were the outgoing Land Rover Freelander. Only a third of owners would recommend it to a friend and many found it sluggish, not much fun to drive, uncomfortable and costly to run.
The Vauxhall Vectra (1995-02) also scored poorly and was slated for being miserable to drive and dull to look at, both inside and out, while the once popular Peugeot 306 has also fallen out of favour.
Which? Car also reveals this year's Best Buys — cars that owners can't fail to love. From the humble Honda Jazz to the exclusive BMW 5 Series, all Best Buys are good to drive, practical, comfortable, safe and secure.
Expert road tests
But they also keep their owners happy and are less likely to have mechanical trouble.
Awards also go for the first time to the best green cars for fuel economy and low CO2 emissions. The Toyota Prius, Citroën C1 diesel, Toyota Aygo diesel and bio-fuel cars from Ford and Saab earn the plaudits.
Which? Car Editor Richard Headland said: 'We collected information on more than 32,000 cars this year from the people who know best – the owners. We also carry out our own expert road tests and rate safety and security to give new or used car buyers straightforward, no-nonsense advice.'
The Which? Car Best Buys for this year are:
- Superminis: Renault Modus; Mazda 2; Honda Jazz
- Medium cars: Ford Focus; Mazda 3; Audi A3
- Large cars: Volvo S40/V50; BMW 3 Series; Lexus IS
- Luxury cars: BMW 5 Series; Mercedes E-class; Audi A6
- MPVs: Toyota Verso; Honda FR-V; Mazda 5
- Off-roaders: Honda CR-V
- Best Safety and Security (2006 tests): Lexus IS 250; Mazda 5; Alfa Romeo 159