Which? reveals the cars to avoidWe name and shame the worst motors
03 July 2007
Which? Car today names ten Don’t Buy cars you'd be better off leaving on dealers’ forecourts and 20 Best Buys you can drive with confidence.
No other car magazine advises people which cars not to buy, but Which? Car names three new cars with such poor safety ratings they should be avoided.
In addition, there are seven used cars in the list.
The ten cars to avoid are:
- Chevrolet Matiz (new) has a creaky old design that hasn’t advanced since 1998 (when it was badged Daewoo) and poor safety means there’s a high risk of serious or fatal injury in a crash
- Chrysler Voyager (new) gained a shocking crash-test result, particularly for a family-orientated vehicle. It’s best to avoid voyages in this car
- Dodge Caliber (new) Which?’s detailed safety inspections have revealed a number of worrying problems. Not of a very high calibre
- Citroen Saxo (1996-2003) leaves owners feeling short-changed, despite the low prices. It also has outdated safety and security measures
- Fiat Punto (1999-2006). There are too many troublespots on a car that’s supposed to represent easy ownership. Just 40 per cent of owners in the survey definitely recommend it
- Peugeot 106 (1996-2003) is an old design with safety and security standards that are severely lacking. Steer clear
- Rover 200/25 (1995-2005) is dogged by poor reliability and falls well short of contemporary safety and security standards
- Citroen Xsara (1997-2004) can be troublesome and its dated safety and poor rating by owners means motorists should give it a miss
- Renault Megane (1996-2003) has too many reliability worries and is unpopular with owners
- Land Rover Freelander (1997-2006) has so many problems you’d be forgiven for thinking it went on sale before it was finished.
Which? Car Editor Richard Headland said: ‘Arthur Daley may have gone out of business, but there are still some pretty dodgy motors out there. We think motorists should steer well clear of these ten cars which are either unsafe, unreliable, or both.
‘We’ve also named 20 excellent new cars, which you can drive off the forecourt with confidence. Well done to all these car makers for producing cars which actually do live up to the hype and have been rewarded with the coveted Best Buy status.’
|Which? Car 2007 Best Buys (used)|
|Category||Best Buy used cars|
|Superminis||Toyota Yaris (1999-2005), Vauxhall Corsa (2000-2006)|
|Mini MPV||Toyota Yaris Verso (2000-2005)|
|Medium cars||Ford Focus (1998-2004), Honda Civic (2000-2005), |
Toyota Corolla (2002-2006)
|Large cars||BMW 3 Series (1998-2005), Honda Accord (1998-2003), Lexus IS (1999-2005)|
|MPV (people carrier)||Toyota Previa (2000-2005)|
|Sports/coupés||Mazda MX-5 (1998-2005)|
|Off-roader||Honda CR-V (2001-2006)|