Consumers warned over gas safetyOnly use accredited tradespeople to carry out work

10 November 2007

 

A blue flame from a gas hob

Although there is no 'green gas', you can still switch your energy supplier to a green tariff

Householders are being urged to check that gas fitters are properly registered before allowing them to work on domestic gas appliances.

The warning comes after a gas fitter from Wrexham was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for carrying out work at a house without being registered with the Council for Registered Gas Installers (Corgi).

Anyone working on gas appliances must be Corgi registered.

Gas leak

Nigel Paul Chadwick, of Benjamin Road, Wrexham was fined a total of £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 costs after pleading guilty to breaching gas safety regulations.

Chadwick repaired a leak on a gas cooker at a house in Wrexham, but failed to identify another leak in the system.

The HSE says this greatly increased the risk of fire or explosion.

However, the householder noticed there was still a problem and reported it to Transco who made it safe.

Carbon monoxide

HSE Inspector Barbara Francis said: ‘We will prosecute people who work on gas appliances without the proper accreditation.

‘In this case, the risk was fire or explosion but improperly maintained appliances can also give rise to carbon monoxide (CO) which is potentially lethal.

‘You cannot see, smell or taste CO fumes, leaving anyone exposed feeling unwell. In the worst situations, CO can kill without warning in just hours.'

The HSE advises consumers to check the Corgi registration of anyone carrying out gas work, including the reverse of their identity card which shows the gas appliances they are competent to work on.

If you are unsure about a fitter's accreditation call Corgi on 0800 915 0485.

If you need work doing on your central heating system, check out our reviews of boilers and boiler servicing contracts.