Drivers are going without comprehensive car insurance in a bid to save cash, a major insurer has revealed.
For the latest news and deals, sign up to the Which? Car email
Insurance company Swinton said that in the last year, there has been a 10% increase in the number of drivers choosing third party, fire and theft cover when it comes to renewing their policy.
The switch to cheaper forms of car insurance can be attributed to the recession and an increase in the number of people buying second hand cars worth less than £5,000, Swinton said.
Cheaper car insurance
However, the company warned that switching to a cheaper insurance policy could work out more expensive in the long run.
Swinton insurer development manager, Steve Chelton, said: ‘There is a common misconception among motorists that choosing a policy which offers reduced cover will be significantly cheaper than a comprehensive policy.
‘While reducing cover may offer a minimal saving short-term, it could cost drivers a lot more down the line if they are involved in an accident that is their fault.
‘We would advise motorists to speak to their broker if they are considering downgrading their policy as it is vital they understand the changes to their cover when reducing their indemnity to third party, fire and theft.’
Which? Car email
To be kept in the loop on all the manufacturer offers and great car deals we spot each week, sign up for our Which? Car email – delivered to your inbox every Friday, and including all our latest news and first drive reviews, too.
All the latest car news
For daily consumer news, subscribe to the here.
If you have an older web browser you may need to copy and paste this link into your newsreader: http://www.which.co.uk/feeds/reviews/news.xml . Find out more about RSS in the Which? guide to news feeds.