Nationwide restricts cash withdrawals over counterLimitation on withdrawals under £100 from 7 June

12 April 2010

Nationwide Branch

Nationwide Building Society is to stop some customers from withdrawing less than £100 over the counter at its branches.

The move, which will come into effect on 7 June, will mean people with cashcards who want smaller amounts will have to use a cash machine.

Nationwide said the measures were needed to cut queues at its branches and insisted people would be provided with alternative ways to get their cash.

The building society has said that the change would not apply to customers with debit cards or those who used a passbook.

For more information on the best current accounts read our expert reviews.

An attempt to cut down queues

Nationwide's divisional director of the branch network, Graeme Hughes, said the change was essential, commenting: 'About a third of all counter transactions are carried out by less than 8% of our customer base and the other 92% say "what can you do to speed up the queues?" So what we're trying to do is to look at alternative ways of dealing with these customers.'

He said people could change accounts or use cash machines and added that the lender was giving customers two months' notice so that it could help them use the cash machines. His comments came as fears were raised over the ability of elderly people to learn to use the cash machines and remember their Pin.

Which? research on Pin safety

Recent research from Which? has indicated that one in ten consumers are placing themselves at risk because they write down their Pin or tell it to someone else. Keeping the written Pin in your handbag or wallet can compound the problem. You should change the number to something that you can remember.

If you're unhappy with Nationwide's move on cash withdrawals, it's worth considering another of our current account Which? Recommended Providers.

pound coins

Which? Money when you need it

You can follow @WhichMoney on Twitter to keep up-to-date with our Best Rates and Recommended Provider product and service reviews.

Sign up for the latest money news, best rates and recommended providers in your newsletter every Friday.

Or for money-saving tips, and news of how what's going on in the world of finance affects you, join Melanie Dowding and James Daley for the Which? Money weekly money podcast

For daily consumer news, subscribe to the Which? news RSS feed here. And to find out how we work for you on money issues, visit our personal finance campaigns pages.