59p washing-up liquid beats Fairy in Which? testFairy liquid beaten for the first time in 20 years
24 August 2011
Aldi has topped the latest Which? test of washing-up liquid - beating Fairy into second place for the first time in 20 years.
Aldi and Fairy were equally good at removing fat from dishes in Which? tests, but Aldi's foam bubbles lasted slightly longer in the bowl, which made it the overall winner.
Aldi was able to knock Fairy off its perch by increasing the number of active ingredients in its Magnum Premium Original liquid.
You can see the full results from the test and read more about how we carried it out in our washing-up liquids review or by checking out September's Which? magazine.
If you're not already a member, you can sign up for £1 to try out full access for one month.
Washing-up liquids tested
Here's the full list of the washing-up liquids we tested:
- Aldi Magnum Premium Eucalyptus Antibacterial, 69p (500ml)
- Aldi Magnum Premium Original, 59p (500ml)
- Cussons Morning Fresh with Sparklex, Lemon Fresh, 92p (450ml)
- Cussons Morning Fresh Original, 82p (450ml)
- Ecover Camomile & Marigold, £2.25 (1L)
- Ecover Lemon & Aloe Vera, £2.25 (1L)
- Fairy Antibacterial Action Eucalyptus £1.52 (433ml)
- Fairy Clean & Care Aloe Vera & Cucumber £1.52 (433ml)
- Fairy Original, £1.00 (433ml)
- Fairy Silk & Orchid, £1.52 (433ml)
- Lidl W5 Concentrate Antibacterial Hygienically Clean, 69p (500ml)
- Method Dish Soap Clementine, £3.00 (532ml) or £4.50 for 1,064ml refill
- Morrisons Silk & Orchid, £1.05 (450ml)
- Persil Lemon Burst, £1.00 (500ml)
- Planet Clean, £1.00 (500ml)
- Sainsbury’s Lemon, 78p (500ml)
- Sainsbury’s Original, 61p (500ml)
- Sainsbury’s Sage & Camomile Antibacterial Action, £1.20 (500ml)
- Surcare Fragrance Free, 89p (450ml).
Tell us what you think about Aldi's surprise victory by commenting on our Which? Conversation post.