All the best savings accounts and cash Isas, together with the longest 0%-on-purchases credit card deals. This week, we also help you make money out of your house.
Best savings accounts
- Instant access savings: Derbyshire BS offers the best instant-access deal at 3.18% (including a 2.18% bonus payable to 30 November 2012).
- One-year fixed rate savings: Leeds BS offers a top-paying 1-year fixed rate account at 3.46% on balances of at least £100. This is a branch-based or postal account.
- Three-year fixed rate savings: Post Office’s Online Bond offers the best 3-year fixed rate at 4.21% on balances of at least £500. Interest is paid monthly or yearly.
- Five-year fixed rate savings: Saga offers the top-paying 5-year fixed rate accounts paying 4.65%. Only available to those aged 50 and over.
The market’s best cash Isas
- Instant access cash Isa: AA’s Internet Access Isa Issue 2 offers the best instant-access deal paying 3.05%. However, this account does not allow transfers-in from other providers. If you want to transfer in previous years’ funds, then Northern Rock and Principality’s e-Isa accounts are the best options paying 2.80%.
- One-year fixed rate cash Isa: Leeds BS and Metro Bank offer the top 1-year fixed rate accounts at 3.25% on balances of £1 upwards.
- Three-year fixed rate cash Isa: Nottingham BS and the Post Office offer the best 3-year fixed rate accounts paying 4%. Both accounts can be operated at a branch or by post.
- Five-year fixed rate cash Isa: Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank currently lead our 5-year fixed rate table with their accounts paying 4.5%. The minimum investment is £2,000.
Credit cards for 0% purchases
If you want to spread the cost of a large purchase over a longer period, it’s worth getting a 0%-on-purchases credit card.
The Marks & Spencer Money MasterCard and the Tesco Bank Clubcard MasterCard have the longest 0%-on-purchase deals on the market at 15 months and come with representative APRs of 15.9% and 16.9% respectively. Both cards offer a loyalty scheme and are Which? Recommended Providers, reflecting good customer service in our customer satisfaction survey.
Barclaycard has also brought out a new card with a 0%-on-purchases deal of 14 months. The Platinum Credit Card with Purchase Visa comes with a relatively high APR of 18.9%, so make sure you pay off any debt before the end of the 0% period.
The cheapest unsecured personal loans
In our Best Rate tables we show the lowest rates available for loans that aren’t exclusive to specific account holders or existing customers of banks or other institutions.
- For those borrowing £5,000 over three years: Sainsbury’s offers a representative rate of 7.9% APR for a £5,000 loan. Alternatively, at 8.6% – still highly competitive – borrowers can instead opt for two years of doubled Nectar points and a £25 gift card
- For those borrowing £10,000 over five years: Sainsbury’s offers a leading representative rate of 6.3% APR. Alternatively, at 6.9%, borrowers can instead opt for two years of doubled Nectar points and a £25 gift card.
Today’s top mortgage deals
The best mortgage deal for you will depend on your own circumstances. Our unique mortgage finder tool takes account of all fees and charges to help you find a mortgage tailored to your needs.
If you’re moving house and looking for a fixed deal that lasts for five years, our best rates this week are:
- High loan-to-value: Yorkshire BS offers a deal of 5.19%. It comes with a booking fee of £195 and an arrangement fee of £300. You can overpay by up to 10%.
- Low loan-to-value: Yorkshire BS also has a deal of 3.49%. Available in Great Britain and Northern Ireland, it carries an arrangement fee of £300.
For more details and also to see our full selection of fixed, discount and tracker deals, check out our mortgage Best Rate tables.
And finally… this week’s money-saving tip
Have you ever thought about using your house to make extra cash? If you live close to a sporting or festival venue, you could cash in by renting it out to fans or even participants. Edinburgh and Glastonbury festivals, as well as events at Wimbledon and Henley could all provide such opportunities, while next year’s Olympic Games will be a great earner for thousands of Londoners.
For more tips, including renting out your driveway or inviting a TV company to use your house for filming, read our guide to Making money from your home.