Is your home hiding a silent killer?Carbon monoxide gas leaks can be fatal
21 November 2011
Homeowners are being urged to keep their gas appliances in check to help prevent the leak of dangerous fumes.
Faulty gas cookers, fires and central heating systems can leak poisonous carbon monoxide – a gas which is incredibly hard to detect because it has no colour, taste or smell.
Find out how a carbon monoxide detector can help prevent a leak in your home becoming fatal.
Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, which starts on Monday 21 November, aims to highlight the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Last year the deadly gas, which can be released by badly-fitted or poorly-maintained gas appliances, led to 4000 people going to A&E, 200 hospital admissions and 50 deaths, according to the Department of Health.
Symptoms of exposure include nausea and sickness, dizziness, tiredness and shortness of breath.
Gas safety advice
Which.co.uk has lots of advice on gas safety, including simple boiler maintenance and top tips on getting a good boiler service.
Which? deputy home editor Natalie Hitchins says: 'It’s vital to have all gas appliances regularly serviced and checked ensure they are operating correctly.
'If you’re buying a new gas appliance – such as a gas boiler, oven or freestanding cooker – make sure its installed by a qualified professional on the Gas Safe Register.'
- Find out what happened in our undercover boiler servicing investigation
- Check out our