Currys & PC World launches mobile trade-inBetter returns can be found elsewhere for iPhones
20 March 2012
Currys and PC World have launched a mobile phone and tablet trade-in service, letting customers trade-in old devices in exchange for vouchers that can be spent online or in branches of PC World and Currys.
It's estimated that there are millions of unused mobile phones in the UK and that around 45% of these are traded-in.
This new scheme from Currys and PC World joins a number of existing similar schemes from the likes of Envirofone, Fonebank, Mazuma, Mobile Phone Xchange and Sell Old Phone.
How does the new PC World and Currys service compare with others?
The new mobile phone and tablet exchange service from PC World and Currys provides customers with vouchers instead of money. Currys and PC World claim that this is unique, and that it provides customers with the opportunity to spend the vouchers on electrical products that they want.
Many customers, however, might prefer to receive cash in exchange for their old mobile phones and tablets, as it doesn't restrict them to spending money within a Currys or PC World store.
Which? investigates mobile phone exchange services
In September 2011, Which? sold a number of identical mobile phones through many exchange services to see which one offers the best value for money.
When we tried to sell a 16GB iPhone 4 through the new Currys and PC World service we were offered £235.29, which was less than we received for selling similar iPhone 4 handsets through other services last year.
The best return we had on our iPhone 4s last year was £331.60 when selling on eBay, and £270 when selling through Fonebank - both of which offer better returns than the new PC World and Currys service. It's difficult to compare these figures now as time has passed, but we'll be looking more closely at how it compares soon.
Upgrading to an new iPad?
If you're thinking of selling an old iPad to upgrade to the new iPad, then here's the value of vouchers you'll get for working versions of the following models from PC World and Currys (prices correct at time of publishing):
Original Apple iPad
- Apple iPad, 64GB, wi-fi and 3G - £173.44
- Apple iPad, 64GB, wi-fi only - £151.29
- Apple iPad, 32GB, wi-fi and 3G - £151.29
- Apple iPad, 32GB, wi-fi only - £131.90
- Apple iPad, 16GB, wi-fi and 3G - £130.98
- Apple iPad, 16GB, wi-fi only £120.83
Apple iPad 2
- Apple iPad 2, 64GB, wi-fi and 3G - £282.37
- Apple iPad 2, 64GB, wi-fi only - £254.67
- Apple iPad 2, 32GB, wi-fi and 3G - £254.67
- Apple iPad 2, 32GB, wi-fi only - £213.13
- Apple iPad 2, 16GB, wi-fi and 3G - £213.13
- Apple iPad 2, 16GB, wi-fi only £203.90
To use the new mobile phone and tablet exchange service you'll need to go to the PC World and Currys website and enter the details of the device you wish to sell. You will then be sent a freepost envelope to send your device away.
- How to buy the best mobile phone - Read our advice guide to finding the best phone for you
- Mobile phone exchange sites compared - where can you get the most money for your handset?
- New Apple iPad first look - don't sell your old iPad until you've read our first impressions of the new iPad