Top 10 travel rights tips ahead of the Olympics Join our expert live Q&A for travel rights answers
19 July 2012
As the UK gears up for Olympics and Paralympics, the potential for travel disruption is significant. Which? is holding a free Q&A with lawyers from Which? Legal Service, and offering tips to travellers so they don't get caught out.
Can you get a refund on your train ticket if your Olympic event is rescheduled? What are your rights if you're flying out of the country? Which? legal and consumer rights experts will be on hand on Monday 23 July, from 12-2pm, to answer your travel rights queries during a .
Which? has also issued a top 10 list of key travel rights, including advice on flights, hotels and train tickets - and what you're entitled to if things go wrong.
Top 10 travel rights tips
1. You're entitled to free meals and refreshments if your flight is delayed or cancelled - but keep the receipts.
2. You should get hotel accommodation if your flight is cancelled and an overnight stay is required.
3. If your flight is overbooked and you volunteer your seat, you're entitled to negotiate 'benefits' from your airline.
4. You can claim up to £1,118 from your airline if they lose or damage your luggage.
5. If your train is delayed or cancelled, you can claim National Rail vouchers (usually £30-£40), which can be used with any train company - but they can't be used online
6. Off peak train tickets don't necessarily refer to journeys made at off-peak times.
7. You have the right to a refund if your event tickets don't arrive in time.
8. If you’re the subject of a ticket scam, you can claim your money back from your credit card company.
9. If you hire a car and you don't get the specifications that you paid for, the company is in breach of contract.
10. Need to cancel your holiday car hire booking? You don't have an automatic right to do so.
Find out more information by reading Which? .
Travel rights live Q&A
If you have a query about your travel rights, our lawyers and consumer rights experts will be taking your questions, and helping solve your problems, during our live online Q&A on Monday 23 July, from 12-2pm.
Sign up now for an email reminder ahead of the .