IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
The Volkswagen Polo faces stiff competition in the supermini sector – not least from Ford’s bestseller, the Fiesta. With prices ranging from around £10,000 to £20,000, the Polo is quite pricey compared to most of its rivals. But we’ve found some great deals to make this practical VW an attractive option.
The Polo holds its own in a fiercely competitive sector and consistently makes it into the top 10 bestselling cars each year. The small hatchback does most things very well and doesn’t fall down in any key areas. It boasts a high quality interior, plus an impressive five-star safety score from Euro NCAP.
One thing buyers should watch out for is added extras; the Polo doesn’t come with much equipment as standard. That said, the market for used Polos is good, so it won’t lose as much as some of its competitors when you come to sell the car on.
14% off the Polo Bluemotion
If you’re looking to save on running costs, we recommended the Bluemotion models. The 1.2 TDI Bluemotion five-door achieved excellent fuel economy of 74mpg in our tests – not too far off Volkswagen’s claimed figure of 80.7mpg.
You can make further savings with the 14% discount we found at Autobytel. They’re selling the Bluemotion five-door for £13,662 – a saving of £2,223 on the RRP.
At the other end of the scale, Autobytel are also offering a good discount on one of the fastest models in the range – the 1.4 TSI 180 GTI five-door DSG. With claimed fuel economy of 47.9mpg and CO2 emissions of 139g/km, it’s the least economical and the least green of all the Polo models. But it can do 0-62mph in 6.9 seconds, so it’s the most fun!
You can save £2,538 on the RRP at Autobytel, who are selling the GTI for £17,407.
£1,900 off our Top Choice Polo
Compromisers should consider our Top Choice Model. The 105bhp 1.2-litre TSI combines affordable running costs with enough performance to make it a capable performer on all roads. This model comes with air-con, alloy wheels and folding rear seats as standard, and boasts a claimed fuel economy of 53.3mpg.
Nationwide are selling the VW Polo 1.2 TSI 105 SEL five-door at £1,922 less than the list price of £16,249. And, at £14,327, this Top Choice model is hard to fault.
- Volkswagen Polo reviews – read our full reviews of old and new VW Polos
- Supermini reviews – compare the Polo to rivals like the Fiesta, Corsa and Clio
- Top 10 buying tips – all the advice you need when buying a supermini
Hot Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.