IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
Volkswagen’s all-new Golf – which we’ve just driven – arrives in showrooms later this month, and is one of the most hotly anticipated new car launches of 2012. Shrewd deal-hunters should be eyeing up discounts on current VW Golf ranges, including the Golf Plus.
The VW Golf Plus is a spacious MPV that’s very similar to drive to the mainstream VW Golf, but is a lot easier to get in and out of.
The Golf Plus sits between the standard Golf and the Touran. Volkswagen calls it the ‘practical solution’ and it is indeed the practicality of the Golf Plus that makes so much sense for families. It offers an interesting alternative to a normal estate or all-out MPV.
There is, however, a question mark over its reliability. Owners only gave it two stars out of five, which puts it towards the bottom end for the class.
Read our family car buying tips – all the advice you need
Save £3,000 on a diesel Golf Plus SE
If your Golf Plus is going to spend most of its time on the motorway, stick with one of the TDI diesel engines. The 1.6 TDI SE is our Top Choice model. The diesel engine has 105bhp and claimed combined fuel economy of 58.9mpg.
Justclick4cars is offering a 14% discount on this model, which equates to a £3,020 saving on the retail price, so you’ll be on the road for £18,195.
If you’re willing to pay an extra £1,000 for a more fuel efficient diesel, go for the BlueMotion Technology option. The 1.6 TDI SE BlueMotion also has 105bhp, but offers claimed fuel economy of 65.7 mpg and CO2 emissions of only 114g/km. It’s the most fuel-efficient model in the Golf Plus range. You can save £2,874 at Discounted New Cars, which is selling the 1.6 TDI 105 BlueMotion Tech SE for £19,121.
Golf Plus 1.2 S for under £14,400
A petrol derivative is worth a look if you plan to use it mostly in town. Since the Golf Plus doesn’t hold its value as well as some other VWs, the petrol model’s cheaper starting price could make sense. The cheapest car in the latest range is the 1.2 S model, with a retail price of £16,710, but you should be able to find a discounted one for under £15,000.
For example, JustClick4Cars is selling the Golf Plus S 1.2 85 for £14,395 – a 14% discount, saving you £2,315.
The hot car deals:
- VW Golf Plus 1.6 TDI 105 SE for £18,195 from JustClick4Cars
- VW Golf Plus 1.6 TDI 105 BlueMotion Tech SE for 19,121 from Discounted New Care
- VW Golf Plus 1.2 85 S for £14,395 from JustClick4Cars
Hot Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK-sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.