Tablet reviews: iPad mini vs Kindle Fire HD, Microsoft Surface RT Which? reviews the tablets that challenge the iPad
19 November 2012
In our latest tablets test, we've pitted the iPad Mini against new rivals from Amazon, the Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD, and tested new 10-inch tablets like the Microsoft Surface with Windows RT and Toshiba AT300.
We've rated and reviewed the hottest new releases from big brand names Amazon, Toshiba and Microsoft, and of course Apple itself. All claim to be great all-round tablets designed to help you work and play.
We put them through our rigorous lab tests to see how they fare in real life, and to see if any can realistically challenge Apple's dominance.
What we found:
- Of the tablets we tested, we only found one that's a genuine contender to the iPad
- One tablet in this test has a disappointing battery life, which might leave searching for the nearest power socket whenever you are out and about
- By comparison one lasts long enough to see you through an entire series of Downton Abbey on one battery charge
To see our latest results in full, or to find Best Buy models to suit all budgets, read our tablet reviews.
If you're not a member, you can discover the benefits of a Which? membership and get instant access to all our results when you sign up for a £1 trial.
The latest tablets reviewed
If you're interested in a specific tablet, click the links below to go straight to the review:
- Apple iPad mini review- the Which? verdict on the new Mini iPad
- Apple iPad with Retina display - the test results for the latest full-sized iPad
- Microsoft Surface with Windows RT review - results for the first Microsoft Windows 8 tablet
- Amazon Kindle Fire review - test results for the new cheap Amazon tablet
- Amazon Kindle Fire HD review - test results for the new HD Amazon tablet
- Tablet testing - find out exactly how we put the tablets through their paces
- Best Buy tablets - cut straight to the cream of the crop
- Tablet buyers' guide - tips to help you find the right tablet for you