Hot Car Deal – Vauxhall AstraSave 30% on this popular hatchback
11 January 2013
The Vauxhall Astra is very popular and that makes depreciation (loss of value) severe. So you need to have your wits about you when buying new and make sure you secure the best possible discount. We’ve found some of the best, money-saving deals currently available.
The seventh-generation Vauxhall Astra was launched in 2009 and, with a higher-quality finish and more charismatic styling than before, it's by far the best so far. The Astra is packed with features and offers a rare combination of enjoyable, safe handling and comfortable ride quality.
It does, however, compete in one of the most competitive arenas in the car market - up against the likes of the VW Golf, Ford Focus and Kia Cee'd – and it doesn't trouble these class leaders. Reliability is a major concern for the Astra, too. It achieved just two stars out of five in the latest Which? Car Survey.
Sign up for a £1 trial to read all our car reviews including our full verdict of the Astra and Astra GTC.
£6,600 off a diesel Astra
The 1.7 CDTi 130bhp diesel engine offers the best blend of performance and economy. The latest 1.7 EcoFlex diesel engine that went on sale in 2012 has CO2 emissions of just 99g/km. But don’t expect to reach the manufacturer’s claimed fuel economy, as many of these 'eco' diesels don't match the claims in our tests. We'd opt for the SRi trim level.
Discounted New Cars is offering savings on a number of EcoFlex diesel models. For example, you can pick up the 1.7 CDTi 16V EcoFlex 130 SRi for £15,440, which is a massive £6,625 saving on the list price of £22,065.
£5,000 off a petrol Astra
Some petrol engines aren't terribly refined, but the 140bhp 1.4-litre turbo is a smooth and punchy unit offering surprisingly potent and flexible performance.
JustClick4Cars is selling the 1.4T 16V SRi for £14,995 – a £5,100 discount on the retail price. This 140bhp engine does 0-62mph in 9.0 seconds and Vauxhall claims fuel economy of 47.9 mpg.
Hot car deals
- Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTi 16V EcoFlex 130 SRi - £15,440 at Discounted New Cars
- Vauxhall Astra 1.4T 16V SRi - £14,995 at JustClick4Cars
Hot Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car.
- Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.