Hearing on 'Beko fridge freezer death' heldMan died in fire linked to Beko fridge freezer
25 February 2013
The preliminary hearing into the death of a man in a house fire linked to a Beko fridge freezer was held last week.
Santosh Benjamin-Muthiah, a 36-year old father-of-two, died in a house fire in Wealdstone, north London, in November 2010. The coroner's office has confirmed the preliminary hearing has taken place.
Up to 500,000 Beko fridge freezers manufactured between 2000 and 2006 may have or had a fault that can result in fire. It occurs because the defrost timer can fail and overheat.
Our Beko fridge freezer fire risk Q&A lists full details of the affected Beko fridge freezer models, and what steps you need to take if you own one.
Beko fridge freezer safety warning
In July 2011, the London Fire Brigade (LFB) issued an urgent warning of a fire risk related to certain Beko fridge freezer models.
The fire that took place in November 2010 was several months after the LFB first highlighted the fault to Beko.
Trading standards officers told Beko its safety notice didn't make clear enough that there was a risk of fire, and Which? said that the company did not act swiftly enough in contacting all affected customers.
Beko has modified over a hundred and fifty thousand fridges as a result of the fault.
Beko tumble dryer safety alert
Fridge-freezers are not the only Beko products which have had some recent safety problems.
In November 2012 Beko issued a safety alert about a fire risk with some Beko tumble dryers.
The fault affected certain Beko tumble dryers which had been bought between May and October 2012.
A Beko spokesperson said: 'We strongly rejects any accusations that we have not acted as timely or comprehensively as possible. Beko has always acted in accordance with regulatory guidance, co-operated with all relevant authorities and abided by all accepted standards of industry practice. Beko has mobilised every resource at its disposal to rectify and raise awareness of the issues.'