IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
The X5 is one of the best on-road 4x4s. However, whilst choosing a diesel version will help keep costs down, it is still an expensive car to buy and run. To make your purchase a bit more palatable, we’ve found some of the best deals currently available.
The BMW X5 is the first and only BMW to seat seven (if you tick this option). That puts it firmly in contention with other seven-seat rivals such as the Audi Q7 and the Land Rover Discovery 3. There’s no doubt that this full-sized SUV offers plenty of space, but its sure-footed handling and superb engines mean it’s also one of the best 4x4s to drive. Plus the X5 is the fourth most reliable 4×4, according to the latest Which? Car Survey.
If you’re thinking of taking an X5 off-road, be aware that you’ll need to change the tyres. The standard tyres will struggle for grip even on wet grass.
Save over £9,000 on X5 diesel
If you can afford an X5, the high running costs probably won’t be too much of a problem. But choosing a diesel version certainly helps. We were very impressed with the entry-level 3.0-litre diesel X5. The engine is more than powerful enough for most people, and has no problem pulling the heavy X5 along. Power delivery is smooth, while vibration and noise aren’t a problem.
We found the entry level xDrive 30d SE for £39,113 at Discounted New Cars – a £6,416 discount on the list price.
The quicker 381bhp M50d can go from 0-62mph in 5.4 seconds without giving away too much in terms of fuel consumption. You can save £9,123 on the xDrive M50d M at Nationwide Cars, which is offering the car for £53,482.
£8,900 discount on X5 petrol
Petrol options are a 4.8-litre V8 (355bhp) and the X5M, which puts out a phenomenal 555bhp. All versions come with a 6-speed automatic gearbox, which is well matched to the engines’ characteristics and cleverly adapts its shifting to your driving style, sensing when it’s time to cruise and when it’s time to get a move on.
At £53,080, Nationwide Cars is offering an impressive £8,911 discount on the xDrive50i M.
Hot Car Deals:
- BMW X5 diesel xDrive 30d SE – £39,113 at Discounted New Cars
- BMW X5 diesel xDrive M50d M – £53,482 at Nationwide Cars
- BMW X5 petrol xDrive 50i M – £53,080 at Nationwide Cars
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car.Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.