Which? Best Buy hand luggage revealedAntler, Samsonite and John Lewis suitcases tested
20 February 2013
Looking for the best hand luggage to take on your next holiday? We've thoroughly tested and reviewed 21 cabin cases including four new Best Buy suitcases, all receiving an excellent test score of over 80%.
Our latest reviews, available for the first time online, include big name hand luggage manufacturers such as Antler, Samsonite, Delsey, Tripp and Carlton as well as other major manufacturers and own brand hand luggage from Tesco, John Lewis, and Marks and Spencer. And we’ve found one of the best models we’ve tested yet.
The suitcase in question is a lightweight design, two-wheel soft cabin case which glides over rough ground and even cobbles, is a dream to manoeuvre and offers a large internal capacity while still being accepted by many airlines as cabin baggage. To find out more, check out our Best Buy hand luggage reviews.
Cheap hand luggage
Hand luggage we've tested includes the Tesco 2-Wheel Lightweight small suitcase and the M&S Value Cabin Rollercase, both of which are currently available for just £25. But are they any good?
Which? members can log in to find out how these suitcases have fared in our tests. But if you’re not a member yet, you can still discover which cabin bags have done well in our tests by signing up for a £1 trial and getting instant access to all of our product reviews.
Hard and soft hand luggage
We’ve reviewed hard-shelled suitcases such as Samsonite’s Firelite 4-wheel case (available for £235) and Antler’s Liquis (£169) and soft-shelled suitcases like the John Lewis Fusion cabin suitcase (£89) and Tripp’s Pillo II (£90).
Hard-shelled cases have the reputation of being more durable but our tests have found that this is not always the case. Head to our complete hand luggage reviews to find out which are the best hard and soft-shelled cases.
All of the hand luggage that we test is put through a series of gruelling tests. We test durability on an obstacle-studded roller belt, we drop the cases on their corners when filled with weights, and we subject hand luggage to a simulated heavy downpour to test water resistance. Watch our video to find out more about how we test hand luggage.
Hand luggage reviews online
- Antler Cyberlite 2-Wheel International cabin suitcase
- Antler Duolite GT International cabin suitcase
- Antler Liquis International cabin suitcase
- Antler New Size Zero, large cabin case
- Carlton Tribe 2-Wheel suitcase
- Delsey U-Lite 4-Wheel Cabin Trolley suitcase
- Flylite Small Cabin Trolley Bag
- John Lewis Fusion cabin suitcase
- John Lewis Monaco cabin suitcase
- Marks and Spencer Value Soft cabin suitcase
- North Face Rolling Thunder, small suitcase
- Samsonite B-Lite Fresh upright 50cm
- Samsonite B-Lite upright 50cm
- Samsonite Essensis 4-Wheel Spinner 55cm suitcase
- Samsonite Firelite 4-Wheel Spinner suitcase
- Samsonite X-Blade Light upright 50cm
- Tesco 2-Wheel Lightweight small suitcase
- The Right Size Cabin Bag
- Tripp Graphite Light suitcase
- Tripp Holiday III cabin suitcase
- Tripp Pillo II