The latest test of 12 lawn mowers has pitted machines from top manufacturers including Bosch, Flymo and Hayter, and found our first cordless mower Best Buy, as well as two great petrol mower Best Buys.
In our ongoing quest to find the best lawn mowers for cutting your lawn, our most recent test is packed with models to suit different requirements.
We’ve tested cylinder and rotary mowers, petrol, cordless and cordless, premium and affordable models. Plus some lightweight mowers that you won’t struggle to push around your lawn.
Of these mowers, we’ve found two fantastic petrol Best Buys. But we’ve also discovered a cordless mower that can compete with the best corded models.
Why choose a cordless mower?
Cordless mowers can cost the same as a petrol mower and over twice the amount of the equivalent corded model – so why would you choose one?
- If your garden is an awkward shape, has lots of trees or a pond then cord-free mowing removes a lot of hassles
- Cordless mowers are very quiet – if you or your neighbours are bothered by the noise of a traditional mower then a cordless mower will be a bonus
- If you’re fed up with dealing with the fuel and oil for your petrol mower, cordless mowers are now powerful enough to offer a mess-free alternative
We’ve put three cordless mowers to the test – read our reviews.
Lawn mowers on test
Mountfield Princess 38Li battery mower
Bosch Rotak ErgoFlex 32Li battery mower
Viking MA339 battery mower
Draper 1400W corded rotary mower
Flymo Easimo corded rotary mower
Qualcast 1000w corded rotary mower
Bosch Rotak 32R corded rotary mower
MacAllister MLM1300 corded rotary mower
Handy 30cm push cylinder mower
Mountfield S461 HP push petrol mower
Hayter Motif 40 push petrol mower
Makita PLM5121 push petrol mulching mower
- Find the right mower for you with our compare features and prices tool
- Make sense of all the choices with our how to buy a lawn mower guide
- Find out how to cut a perfect lawn