Which? Money provides its weekly look at the best savings deals currently available to help you deposit your cash in the right account.
Best Isa and savings accounts on the market
As interest rates on cash Isas and savings accounts have never been lower, it’s essential to maximise the interest you could earn on your savings by following the five steps below:
- Don’t leave your money in a low-paying account.
- If you’re a tax-payer, choose a tax-free account such as a cash Isa to boost your savings.
- Remember the date your fixed term account matures and move your savings to a competitive account.
- Once the bonus period ends on your savings account, remember to move your money to a top-paying deal.
- Being loyal to your bank very rarely pays, so keep an eye on the rate you’re getting and switch if necessary.
As savings rates are still unpredictable, we highlight the top savings deals for you.
Cheshire Building Society currently offers the best instant access cash Isa rate at 2.30% (includes a 1.80% bonus payable to 31 October 2014). National Savings & Investments are next with its Direct Isa at 2.25%, but you can’t transfer in previous years’ money from other providers.
If you’ve already maximised your tax-free Isa allowance, the top instant access savings account from the Derbyshire Building Society pays 1.70% (1.36% after basic-rate tax of 20%). If you’re happy to tie your money up for 90 days, United Bank UK’s Deposit Account pays 2.26% from balances of just £1.
Find more Best Rate products
- Best Rate savings accounts – to find the best instant, notice and one to five-year fixed rate accounts.
- Best Rate cash Isas – to find the best tax-free instant, notice or fixed rate cash Isa deals.
- Best Rate credit cards – to find the best cards to suit your requirements.
- Top unsecured personal loans – for borrowing £10,000 over 5-years or £5,000 over 3-years.
And finally… boost your savings
To find out if your savings account is paying a competitive interest rate, check out the Which? Savings Rate Booster tool and switch your account for a better deal if necessary.