IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
The Peugeot 208 is one of the UK’s bestselling superminis, thanks to chic styling, clever tech and competitive prices. But you can save even more money with our Hot Car Deals.
After the lacklustre 207, the 208 marked a return to form for Peugeot. It’s a worthy rival to cars like the Ford Fiesta, Hyundai i20 and Renault Clio.
All diesel 208s, and the entry-level 1.0-litre petrol, emit less than 100g/km, according to the official figures (meaning free car tax). A small steering wheel makes the car feel manoeuvrable around town and nippy on the open road.
There’s also a snazzy 7-inch colour touchscreen on all models except the entry-level Access. You can add built-in sat nav for £400, plus a variety of Peugeot Connect apps for traffic news, parking and local fuel prices.
Try Which? for £1 to read our full lab test review of the Peugeot 208
Save £1,250 Peugeot 208 1.2 VTi
Our Top Choice model for the 208 range is the 1.2 VTi Active. Its three-cylinder petrol engine develops 82bhp and returns claimed fuel economy of 62.8mpg. However, the car fell short of that figure in our more realistic tests.
Active spec means you get the colour touchscreen, plus Bluetooth phone connectivity and 15-inch alloy wheels. And we’ve gone for a five-door version, as it’s more practical.
Carfile is selling the 208 1.2 VTi Active 5-dr for £11,902 – a saving of nearly £1,250 on the list price.
Watch our Peugeot 208 video review
£3,300 off 208 1.6 e-HDi diesel
Alternatively, if you plan to cover a lot of miles, you may prefer a diesel-engined 208.
We thought the basic 68bhp 1.4 diesel lacked punch, so the 92bhp 1.6 e-HDi diesel is a better bet. It sprints to 62mph in 10.9 seconds and manages a claimed 74.3mpg. There’s also a 115bhp version of the same engine.
Discounted New Cars has the 208 1.6 e-HDi diesel 5-dr in upmarket Allure spec (dual-zone air-con, 16-inch alloys) for £12,951. That’s a £3,343 saving.
Discount on Peugeot 208 GTI
Finally, the 208 GTI – a car that evokes memories of Peugeot’s classic 205 GTI hot hatch. It has a 197bhp 1.6 turbo petrol engine, which propels it to 62mph in just 6.8 seconds.
Inside, you get half-leather sports seats, a DAB radio and lots of retro red stripes. It’s not as sharp to drive as a Ford Fiesta ST, but is more comfortable for longer journeys.
You can save £1,800 on the GTI at Carfile, where the car is on sale for £17,090.
Read our Peugeot 208 GTI first drive
Hot Car Deals:
- Peugeot 208 1.2 VTi Active 5-dr – £11,902 at Carfile
- Peugeot 208 1.6 e-HDi diesel Allure 5-dr – £12,951 at Discounted New Cars
- Peugeot 208 1.6 GTI 3-dr – £17,090 at Carfile
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.