Hot Car Deal – BMW X1Big discounts on BMW's X1 compact SUV
05 September 2013
IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
BMW’s X1 is a compact off-roader style hatchback, which performs much better on the road than off.
The BMW X1 is an upmarket crossover with the choice of rear-wheel drive or four-wheel drive for the odd snowy day or rainy camping trip. Based on the popular BMW 3 Series, the X1 has plenty of space up front, but is less roomy in the back and boot.
The X1 benefits from BMW’s excellent diesel engines and the only thing to watch out for is the bone jarring ride if you buy an M Sport variant (you can select standard suspension on this model) or specify the optional sports suspension. Petrol and diesel engines are available and all apart from the least powerful diesel motor power the X1 to 62mph in under 10 seconds.
Try Which? for £1 to read our full lab test review of the BMW X1
Watch our BMW X1 video review
Save £4,000 on our top choice BMW X1
One criticism of the X1 is the high purchase price, but we have found our favourite model, the X1 sDrive 20d SE, from Carfile for just £22,412 – saving you £3,993 on the list price. This two-wheel-drive model is both frugal and quick, officially returning 57.6mpg and sprinting to 62mph in 7.8 seconds.
If you prefer the extra grip of four-wheel drive you can pick up the same model with all-wheel drive for £23,563 – a premium of £1,151 over the two-wheel drive 20d SE model. However, in exchange for added all weather traction, the four-wheel drive system also dents fuel economy and emissions with official fuel economy down by around 10%.
BMW X1 16d SE for just £20,810
We've also found savings of more than £3,000 on the less powerful 16d SE. This two-wheel-drive-only model has the same equipment as the more expensive 20d SE and officially returns 57.6mpg. The 2.0-litre engine produces 116bhp and carries the X1 to 62mph in 11.5 seconds. The 16d SE comes with standard dual zone air conditioning, Bluetooth and iPod/MP3 connectivity, plus a digital radio, rear parking sensors and 17-inch alloy wheels.
Petrol BMW X1 with £3,430 discount
If you don’t cover many miles and fancy a petrol engine, the X1 sDrive 20i M Sport is currently available from Discounted New Cars for £24,795. This model officially returns 40mpg and accelerates to 62mph in an impressive 7.4 seconds.
We found the X1’s M Sport suspension very firm in our tests, however you can specify standard suspension at no extra cost for a more comfortable ride. This model includes sports seats that grip you tightly around bends, leather upholstery, 18-inch alloy wheels, sports suspension and distinctive interior and exterior styling.
Hot Car Deals:
- BMW X1 sDrive 20d SE - £22,412 at Carfile
- BMW X1 sDrive 16d SE - £20,810 at Carfile
- BMW X1 sDrive 20i M Sport - £24,795 at Discounted New Cars
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.