IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
Audi’s A4 is a popular mid-size saloon that’s available with a wide range of engines and benefits from a beautifully designed, high quality interior.
The Audi A4 is a well-finished, solidly constructed family car that handles itself well on the road and is offered with a wide range of efficient and powerful engines.
Whichever engine you choose – from the diminutive 120bhp turbocharged 1.8-litre petrol to the potent 245bhp 3.0-litre diesel – the A4 offers responsive performance and impressive fuel economy.
One of our few criticisms of the A4 is that purchase prices are high. But resale values are strong and big discounts are available if you shop around, which make this saloon much better value.
Try Which? for £1 to read our full lab test review of the Audi A4
Save £3,880 on the frugal Audi A4 2.0 TDIe SE
The A4 2.0 TDIe is the most economical A4 you can buy. It returns an official fuel economy figure of 65.7mpg, although in our own more realistic tests it fell short of these claims. #
This SE model is well equipped with 17-inch alloy wheels, a 10-speaker CD player with MP3 compatibility, a digital radio, rear parking sensors, automatic lights and wipers, climate control and cruise control.
The 2.0 TDIe model also features lowered suspension and low rolling resistance tyres to ensure maximum fuel efficiency.
This diesel engine is reasonably strong and accelerates to 62mph in 9.3 seconds. You can currently buy the A4 2.0 TDIe from Carfile for £22,945 – saving you nearly £4,000 on the list price.
Frugal petrol Audi A4 with £4,000 discount
If you’d rather buy a petrol model we’ve found a saving of £3,924 on the 1.8T 170 S Line, bringing the asking price down to £24,026.
This 170bhp model can sprint to 62mph in just 8.1 seconds and still returns impressive official economy figures of 49.6mpg.
S Line specification includes all the same equipment as the SE and adds lowered suspension, striking 18-inch alloy wheels, cloth and leather sports seats and xenon headlights, plus a subtle bodykit with different bumpers and body styling.
Save £4,927 on all-wheel drive diesel Audi A4
A discount of nearly £5,000 is also available on the powerful and economical A4 3.0 TDI Quattro SE S Tronic, lowering the price to just under £30,000. This speedy diesel model comes with a slick seven-speed automatic gearbox and all-wheel drive, so it should be able to cope with snowy British winters.
The 3.0-litre engine produces 245bhp, enabling it to sprint to 62mph in just 5.9 seconds. Official fuel economy is good at 49.6mpg, although this model was less economical than claimed in our own more realistic fuel economy test.
Hot Car Deals:
- Audi A4 2.0 TDIe SE – £22,945 at Carfile
- Audi A4 1.8T FSI 170 S Line – £24,026 at Carfile
- Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro SE S Tronic – £29,813 at Carfile
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.