Which? reveals first Best Buy cordless chainsawA battery chainsaw that tackles big cutting jobs
04 October 2013Our latest test of 16 chainsaws sees machines from top manufacturers, including Stihl, Husqvarna and Bosch, pitted against each other, and has revealed our first cordless chainsaw Best Buy, as well as four great petrol Best Buys.
In our ongoing quest to find the best chainsaw for cutting through all kinds of wood, our most recent test is packed with models to suit different requirements.
We’ve tested petrol, corded and cordless, premium and affordable models. Plus some chainsaws packed with features, such as tool-free chain adjustment and blade-tip guards for safe, easy cutting and simple maintenance.
Of these chainsaws, we’ve found four fantastic petrol Best Buys. But we’ve also discovered a cordless chainsaw that can compete with the best petrol models.
To find out which chainsaws race through the hardest logs, either sign in or sign up for a £1 trial subscription and get instant access to our results.
Why choose a cordless chainsaw?
Cordless chainsaws can cost the same or more as a petrol chainsaw and over twice the amount of the equivalent corded model - so why would you choose one?
• If you're fed up with dealing with the tricky starts of petrol chainsaws, a cordless chainsaw will start at the flick of a switch.
• Maintaining the motor on a petrol chainsaw can be messy and fiddly; our Best Buy cordless chainsaw is powerful enough to offer a mess-free alternative.
• Cordless chainsaws are very quiet compared to petrol machines - if you or your neighbours are bothered by the noise of a petrol chainsaw then a cordless chainsaw will be a bonus.
We've put three cordless chainsaws to the test - read our reviews.
Chainsaws on test
- Black and Decker GK1935T electric chainsaw
- Bosch AKE 40-19 S electric chainsaw
- Red 2000w electric chainsaw
- Ryobi RCS1835 electric chainsaw
- Makita UC 3520A electric chainsaw
- Einhell 37cc petrol chainsaw
- Homelite 38cc petrol chainsaw
- Mac Allister 40cc petrol chainsaw
- McCulloch CS 360T petrol chainsaw
- McCulloch CS 380 petrol chainsaw
- Ryobi RCS 3535CA petrol chainsaw
- Stihl MS 181 petrol chainsaw