IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
Volvo’s V40 is the safest car ever tested by European crash testers Euro NCAP and thanks to hefty online discounts, it’s also great value too.
The Volvo V40 is extremely safe for passengers and pedestrians alike, and large savings online mean it won’t do too much damage to your wallet either. All V40 models feature a pedestrian airbag which pops up from under the bonnet and covers most of the windscreen. Also standard is Volvo’s City Safety system that can automatically slow the car if it senses a low-speed crash is imminent.
As for engines, the V40 has a range of turbocharged petrol and diesel engines that provide a good blend of performance and economy. With distinctive styling and a comfortable interior, the V40 makes an interesting alternative to mainstream rivals from Ford and Vauxhall, and pricier premium models from Audi and BMW.
Top Choice Volvo V40 D2 Cross Country SE with £3,531 discount
Our favourite V40 is the Cross Country model, which features rugged off-roader style design details, a raised ride height and lots of standard equipment, including climate control, Bluetooth, a digital radio plus automatic folding door mirrors and automatic windscreen wipers.
Fitted with the frugal D2 diesel engine, this model officially returns an impressive 74.3mpg, though the V40 fell drastically short of its claimed economy figure in our more realistic tests. Performance with this model is leisurely, taking 11.9 seconds to accelerate to 62mph. Following a discount of £3,531 the D2 is available for just £19,534.
Save £4,354 on stylish Volvo V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav
If you regularly carry lots of passengers or heavy loads, the punchy V40 D4 offers plenty of pulling power, accelerating to 62mph in just 8.6 seconds. In R Design Lux Nav trim it comes with a long list of standard equipment, such as a 7-inch satnav system, Nubuck leather upholstery, a digital radio and Bluetooth.
This model returns an official fuel economy figure of 64.2mpg, so fuel bills should be reasonable too. The R Design Lux Nav is available for £23,411 saving you £4,354 on the list price.
Petrol powered Volvo V40 T3 ES for just under £18,000
For those with less to spend, the petrol V40 T3 ES could be yours for £17,897 – a discount of £2,993. Even this entry level version comes with Volvo’s City Safety and pedestrian airbag for peace of mind, as well as a digital radio, climate control and Bluetooth – so you shouldn’t feel short changed.
Hot Car Deals:
- Volvo V40 D2 Cross Country SE – £19,534 at Discounted New Cars
- Volvo V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav £23,411 at Discounted New Cars
- Volvo V40 TS ES – £17,897 at Nationwide Cars
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.