Which? reveals five new Best Buy child car seatsNew Britax, Kiddy, Recaro and Cybex seats tested
09 November 2013
We've just crash tested 15 child car seats from manufacturers including Britax, Recaro, Nania, and Cybex. But just five child car seats scored well enough for us to recommend them as Which? Best Buys.
Out of the 15 child car seats sent to our lab for crash testing and convenience assessment, Which? has named five new Best Buys, including one infant carrier, two Group 1 seats for toddlers and two Group 2/3 seats for older children.
To find out which car seats provided the best protection in our car crash tests, visit our list of Which? Best Buy child car seats.
Infant carriers on test
We've tested several infant carriers suitable for babies from birth up to 13kg (15-18 months old) or 18kg (approximately four years old).
- Nania Baby Ride (birth to 13kg)
- Cybex Aton 3 (birth to 13kg)
- Nania Driver SP (birth to 18kg)
- Britax Max-Fix (birth to 18kg)
The Cybex Aton 3 can be installed with the adult seatbelt, or on a base that is left in the car and attached by the adult seatbelt or Isofix connectors. Which? car seat testing is so thorough that we've tested all three ways of installing it, and can tell you which way is the safest and easiest.
Click through to our child car seats review to compare infant carriers - and find out which one of these car seats is a Best Buy and which two are Don't Buys.
Car seats for toddlers and older
We've also tested a number of seats suitable for children from approximately nine months to four, seven and 12 years.
- Cybex Juno 2-Fix (9-18kg)
- Kiddy Phoenixfix Pro 2 (9-18kg)
- Casualplay Q-Retraktor (without support leg) (9-18kg)
- Casualplay Q-Retraktor (with support leg) (9-18kg)
- Axkid Kidzofix (9-25kg)
- Storchenmuhle Starlight SP (9-36kg)
Again we've uncovered both Best Buys and Don't Buys. Compare Group 1 car seats to find out which ones we've tested and which models we recommend.
Booster seats for older children
Four new high-backed Group 2/3 booster seats for older children weighing between 15 and 36kg were also tested.
- Britax Kidfix XP SICT
- Recaro Monza Nova 2
- Recaro Monza Nova 2 Seatfix
- Storchenmuhle Solar
Booster seats can be quite bulky, which is why we always assess how much space they take up in a car, and provide star ratings to help you compare.
- Child car seat reviews - more than 100 child car seats on test
- Don't Buy car seats - the seats that don't impress in our tough tests
- Buying a child car seat? - all the advice you need