Which? Technology news roundup, 29 November 20134K TV tested, Black Friday, which iPad mini & more
29 November 2013
After 3D TV failed to live up to expectations, the big brands have now placed their hopes in ultra high definition 4K sets to supercharge sales.
We put two of the leading 4K TVs through a specially designed lab test to see whether the future of television really is 4K. Read on to discover the results.
Today is also the bumper bargain day that is Black Friday. We'll be updating our site all day long to keep you in the loop on any must have deals. While we also explain your consumer rights when it comes to shopping in the sales.
We've also been putting the iPad mini with Retina display to the test this week, though perhaps not in the way you might think. Find out whether the new mini really is £70 better than the old mini.
Also on Which? Tech Daily this week:
- PlayStation 4 launch – everything you need to know about the PS4
- Call blocking devices – do they stop nuisance calls?
- Windows 8.1 tips and tricks
- Kindle Fire HDX – Amazon’s two new super-charged tablets
- Olympus Stylus 1 – a rival to the Sony Cyber-Shot RX10?
All this and more on Which? Tech Daily.
4K TV is here… but is it worth your money?
After 3D failed to ignite TV sales figures the big brands now have high hopes that 4K – capable of four times the sharpness of Full HD – will encourage us to upgrade our sets.
However, our lab tests have found that the models we tested so far struggle when playing genuine 4K content. Read on to find out what our TV expert thinks this means for the future of ultra HD television.
Best Black Friday deals
Today is Black Friday, the day when online retailers offer their biggest pre-Christmas discounts. If you’re thinking of picking up a tablet, laptop or TV on the cheap then this is the day to do it.
Although the idea for Black Friday originated in the US, Asda, John Lewis, Amazon and plenty more UK-based websites have jumped on the heavily-discounted bandwagon. See our guide to the best Black Friday deals.
iPad mini with Retina display vs iPad mini – what’s the difference?
The seven-inch Apple iPad line-up now includes both the original iPad mini and the new iPad mini with Retina display. They look pretty similar, so how do you decide which one to go for?
We take a look at the design, screen and processor of each, so you can decide which iPad is best for you.
Helpdesk Challenge: How to make your mobile’s battery last longer
You might know that modern mobiles use lithium-ion batteries, what you might be surprised to hear however, is that they should perform well for 3-5 years.
If yours is holding less and less charge it could be because you're overcharging it. See our guide to keeping your phone's battery in tiptop condition.
Other technology news
- PlayStation 4 launch - what you need to know
- Call blocking devices - can they snuff out nuisance calls?
- Windows 8.1 - tips, tricks and the Start button's return
- Kindle Fire HDX - putting the Mayday button to the test
- Olympus Stylus 1 camera - first look and key features
- Get all the latest reviews at Which? Technology
- See which models are Best Buy tablets
- See all of our mobile phone Best Buys