IMPORTANT: Read the information at the bottom of this page before going ahead with any car purchase.
If you want an off-roader for improved comfort, look no further than the Volvo XC60. It offers a smooth ride and supremely accommodating seats.
The Volvo XC60 is not the last word in off-road ability, but it does excel at smoothing out even the roughest of roads. Plus it has one of the most comfortable interiors you can find this side of a luxury car. With beautifully supportive seats, smooth suspension and a nicely designed, high quality cabin, the XC60 shrinks even the longest of journeys. Furthermore, it is a very safe car, as you’d expect from Volvo.
While the XC60 is expensive to buy, you can find discounts of nearly 20% online, making it a much more appealing prospect. Buyers have the option of two- or four-wheel-drive models, manual or automatic gearboxes and petrol or diesel engines, so you should be able to find an XC60 that suits you. We’d steer clear of the petrol model, though; it could leave you with big bills at the petrol pumps.
Try Which? for £1 to read our full review of the Volvo XC60
Top choice diesel Volvo XC60 for £25,660
Our favourite XC60 is the D4 diesel in SE specification. This model is not only speedy but impressively frugal and well equipped, too. Despite a very good fuel economy figure of 62.8mpg (claimed), the XC60 D4  sprints to 62mph in a nippy 8.5 seconds and should take heavy loads in its stride. Following a discount of £5,395, this model is available for just £25,660.
You get a long list of equipment as standard, including a digital radio, climate control, cruise control and automatic windscreen wipers. It also features electrically folding door mirrors and a power-operated tailgate. Standard across all XC60s is Volvo’s City Safety, which can automatically brake the car to avoid an accident.
Save £5,678 on Volvo XC60 R Design
If you’d rather have an automatic gearbox, the XC60 R Design Geartronic is available for £28,202, following a £5,678 discount. This model features striking 18-inch alloy wheels, sports seats, a leather sports steering wheel and sharper handling on the road. Also standard are climate control, cruise control and a digital radio.
With an eight-speed automatic gearbox, this model is just as quick as the car above, although claimed fuel economy drops slightly to 60.1mpg.
Volvo XC60 D5 4×4 with £6,042 saving
For those who want four-wheel drive for dealing with the worst of winter weather, the XC60 D5 SE Lux Nav AWD is available with a discount of £6,042, slashing the price to £32,362. This model has a powerful diesel engine under the bonnet and all the equipment you could need, including sat nav, an electric driver’s seat, leather upholstery and powerful xenon headlights that turn as you turn the wheel.
Fuel economy is reasonable, with a quoted figure of 53.3mpg. Acceleration is very brisk, too; this large car sprints to 62mph in just 8.1 seconds.
Hot Car Deals:
- Volvo XC60 D4  SE – £25,660 at Carfile
- Volvo XC60 D4  R Design Geartronic – £28,202 at Carfile
- Volvo XC60 D5  SE Lux Nav AWD – £32,363 at Nationwide Cars
Hot Car Deal hunters please note:
- The car brokers and deals featured are not vetted, endorsed or recommended by Which?. Always check the specifics of the deal so you know exactly what you are getting and who is supplying the car. Make sure all aspects of the deal are confirmed in writing before committing to buy.
- Not all brokers deal in UK sourced vehicles, and this may have an impact on standard equipment and warranty levels.
- The term ‘pre-reg’ or ‘pre-registered’ refers to vehicles that are brand new but already registered with the DVLA. This means that you will appear as the second owner on the V5 registration document.
- Beware of unscrupulous brokers who tell you they will have to retain the V5 registration document for a period of time after your purchase of the car. Vehicles sold this way may be cheap, but there are legal implications, including the risk that you the buyer could be committing a criminal offence when you drive the car, so they should be avoided.