Top five cheapest energy tariffsThree-year high in switching energy supplier
13 December 2013
Over 600,000 customers changed energy supplier in November, the most in three years and double the number in October this year, according to trade association Energy UK.
From this number, 125,000 moved from one of the major six energy companies - British Gas, Eon, Npower, SSE, Scottish Power and EDF Energy – to smaller, independent providers.
You can find out which is the best energy deal for you based on your usage by comparing energy prices with our independent switching service, Which? Switch.
Top five cheapest energy deals
Looking at the current cheapest energy tariffs, the top five are all from smaller energy companies:
• Spark Energy Spark Advance 2 - £1,116.41
• Co-Operative Energy Fixed Price to 31 March 2015 - £1,167.89
• Ovo Energy New Energy Fixed and Ovo Just Reward - £1,175.38
• First Utility iSave Fixed v12 June 2015 - £1,1178.47
• Green Start Energy No Worries Fixed 24 Month (online) - £1,191.01
Pricing is based on a usage of 3,300kWh of electricity and 16,500kWh of gas per year, the amount used by a medium user according to Ofgem. All tariffs are dual fuel and for payment by monthly direct debit. If you're thinking about switching, see more information in our guide to energy tariffs explained.
It is quicker for customers to switch tariff than it used to be. Energy UK says that switching times had fallen to 17 days last month, the lowest in 14 months. The process can take up to as long as four weeks, but appears to be speeding up. Energy companies have agreed to cut the amount of time it takes to switch, with a target of under 24 hours to switch.
Energy company satisfaction survey
Our most recent energy satisfaction survey of 10,000 customers rated energy companies on customer service, value for money, bills, complaints, and helping customers save energy. Npower came bottom with 39% while small supplier Good Energy came top with an impressive 85%.
SSE were top among the big energy suppliers, but they still only took ninth place with 51%. To find out more about the survey and for a detailed look at different suppliers, read our energy company reviews.
- Trying to cut down your household spend? Find out how to cut your energy bill
- Looking for a more energy efficient boiler? See our boiler reviews
- Want to monitor the energy bills as you spend? Take a look at our energy monitor reviews